Enjoy!

Sunday, January 24, 2010

The World Today Can't Wait for My Tomorrow!

The day began with a walk.


I noticed that the trees across the street seemed devoid of life.



Quite in contrast to the time of year when they are bursting with colour.

It's January, the middle of winter, what did I expect?

I press on to meet with a friend at the Blenz Coffee.  The walk from my apartment is just a little over 6 blocks.  I notice that another pharmacy has sprung up in my neighbourhood.  I count eight pharmacies alongside King George Highway on my side of the street alone.  Without counting, I venture to guess there's another eight pharmacies alongside the sidewalk across the street in the same number of blocks.  Interestingly enough, I notice only one physician in the neighbourhood.  Something seems wrong with this picture.  More than a dozen pharmacies, all seemingly configuring to the bylaws regulating pharmacies, within 6 linear blocks of my home.



Enjoyed the time spent at Blenz with John.  For no particular reason, I don't patronize this chain of coffee shops.  That might be a result of never being favorably impressed with their brewed coffee.  Today, I decided to try an Americano and I was satisfied with my choice.  Not only did I get to spend some quality time in dialogue with a friend but a decent cup of coffee as well.  Life is full of surprises!

Unlike the photo above, I found out that this particular location is a beehive of activity.  Therefore, I can envision myself in a few years spending a lot of time just watching the people pass by and enjoying an Americano at the same time.

As I walk back home, I noticed that in preparation for the Olympics, a huge banner draped over the side of the tower at Central City.  Along with the symbolic rings of 2010 Olympics, the words: "The Future Starts Here!" 



That phrase on the side of a city landmark brought me back to something that came to mind while talking with John over coffee.  In discussing what it really means to be the person we are meant to be, I have a unique saying of my own pour forth from my mouth: "The world today can't wait for my tomorrow!"

My walk from home and back again, brought me face to face with a community sorely in need of helpful change.  There were so many things wrong with the picture, as I walk along the sidewalk.  I've already mentioned the inumerable "pharmaceutical" (ie. methadone) dispensaries.  I forgot to mention the "Instant Cash Now / Cheque Cashing" services, pawn shops and "rent to own" furniture/appliance stores.

There's something wrong with the picture.

Mahatma Gandhi said:

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."

By God's grace, I plan to do just that.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Robert:

I corrected your Blog Link, also I hope your walking days are numbered. You should be mobile and back on 2 wheels this week. Keeping everything crossed for good luck.

bob
bobskoot: wet coast scootin

Robert, the Reverend said...

Bob ...

I should be back on two wheels in a little more than a week. Wil needs a "jet" for the carb to complete the tuning and Christian (The Wasp Nest) has the part on order but isn't expecting it to arrive for a week.

But it sppears there is hope I'll be back in the saddle soon.

Robert