Enjoy!

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Feeling Full as Well

The apostle Paul writes in Philippians 4:11-12

... for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therein to be content.  I know how to be abased, and I know also how to abound: in everything and in all things have I learned the secret both to be filled and to be hungry, both to abound and to be in want.

Christmas and New Year's are over.  Somehow or another, I managed to only gain a few pounds.  Not quite sure how I did it, what with eating the traditional (in recent years) "Dutch Baby" on Christmas morning, and then feasting on "Olie Bolen" (another recent tradition in our family) on New Year's day.


The key to achieving Dutch baby perfection (and a nice crust) is to follow the instructions precisely - and let the first batch be a lesson in timing.  It's best if the eggs and milk are at room temperature, but it's not essential.

The Baer House Iron-Skillet Dutch Baby

1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
2 to 3 quart cast-iron skillet (10")
3 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup all-purpose flour

Accompaniments: powdered sugar, fresh lemon wedges, berries or maple syrup.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes before baking.  Add the butter to the skillet and place the skillet in the oven until the butter starts to brown, about 5 minutes.  Meanwhile, in a blender, process the eggs, milk, and flour until blended.

When the first wisp of smoke rises from the skillet, remove it from the oven - remember to wear a hot mitt - and pour the batter into the melted butter.  Return skillet to the oven, and bake until well-browned, 20 to 25 minutes, depending on the individual oven and the size of the skillet.  Serve immediately.  Cut into wedges and serve with a dusting of powdered sugar, a squeeze of lemon, berries or just maple syrup.


Hollandsche Olie Bolen

(Fried Cakes)

5 C. flour
3 eggs beaten
1 t. salt
1/2 pkg. currants
1/2 pkg. raisins
5 apples chopped
1/2 cake compressed yeast*

Mix the flour with milk enough to make a thin batter.  Add remaining ingredients.  Dissolve yeast in 1/2 C. luke warm water before adding to flour mixture.  Mix well and let stand to rise 4 or 5 hours.  Fry in deep fat like doughnuts.  Drop from spoon.  Roll in sugar or powdered sugar.

*One (.6-ounce) cake of compressed yeast can be substituted for 1 (1/4-ounce) packet of active dry yeast.

*Substitute 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast (bulk) for 1 (1/4-ounce) packet active dry yeast.

I made a 1/2 batch of the above recipe and it's way too much for two people.  I remembered as I was cooking that a 1/2 batch served Jennifer & I, along with a family of 4 we had invited to dinner last year year.  This year, I took the left overs to work the following day and still had a few to bring home to place in the freezer for a snack some day (not quite as yummy after being frozen, but still good enough to be a temptation for the midnight turkey).

Anyway, like I said at the beginning of this post.  Like the apostle Paul, I am content whether full or feeling empty.  The scoot is still being worked upon, but word has it that it might be running again soon.  We'll see!  I'm not getting my hopes up, but I am getting anxious.

No comments: